Today I planned to update my wordpress alpine lxc template, So I cloned it into a temp VM, edited and updated the VM and wanted to delete the old template and overwrite it with the new, dang... it doesn't work
Yep I had link-cloned it for another project container, sooo I had to do it the hard way.
How you ask ?
So Proxmox is running on ZFS as the storage driver, to resolve this issue I had to undo all linked references to the parent disk, or zfs volume if you are specific.
So I done it before but had to think twice how to go with it.
You do the following:
- Go through your VMs/LXC Container and look for a disk reference with a basedisk-xxx reference in it, this shows the reference to the basedisk of your template.
- Select the Disk
- Click on Move Disk
- Select the storage your current disk lies on (no worries, it will move(clone) to a local disk as a full clone)
- Change the view to the snapshots.
- Delete all snapshots from the past.
- Now select the disk from the Resources/Hardware overview and delete the now unused disk with basedisk-xxx/subxxxx
Now you can delete your template and replace it with the new.